Saturday, May 9, 2015

Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl by Elizabeth Byler Younts - Review



BACK  OF  THE  BOOK  BLURB
(taken from Amazon.com)
As the oldest child in an impoverished Amish family, Lydia Lee knows little more of life beyond hard work, sacrifice and extreme hunger. Yet, even as a youndg girl she strives to be content with all God has provided.

Against the backdrop of the Great Depression, Lydia's childhood unfolds as her family struggles to survive, finding strength from their Amish faith. But, when tragedy strikes, that very faith is tested beyond what any child should have to endure. When all hope seems lost, Lydia is reminded that all things have seasons.

The spring of her life has been spent planting prayers in the soil of sadness and heartache. Will she see a summer of true love? Will there be a harvest of happiness?


MY  REVIEW
I have had this book on my Kindle for quite some time because I though it sounded like one I would enjoy. The problem is I have a LOT of books, paperback and e-book, that I 'really' want to read, it's like sometimes I think I should close my eyes and pick out a book that way. I do wish I'd read this a lot sooner as it is a wonderful story that will pull at your heartstrings and find yourself wanting to help this family even though it happened a long time ago.

Lydia is such a strong little girl with unlimited faith. She goes through so much pain but always seems to have a smile and a big heart. Even when she is hurting you would not know it by looking at her or talking to her.

This is the first book of Elizabeth's that I've read, and I really liked her writing style. I will definitely be reading some more of her books and I would highly recommend this book as a great read! Thank you Elizabeth for sharing this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment