Monday, January 30, 2012

Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs - Review of the first book in A Tea Shop Mystery series

Death by Darjeeling
First book in A Tea Shop Mystery series
by Laura Childs

Theodosia Browning owns the Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston, SC. She only  has two employees, Drayton, her right hand man, and Haley, and it is a profitable business. Everything runs smoothly until they cater a tea for two hundred or so for the Annual Historic Homes Garden Party. As the guests are singing praises about the teas and blackberry scones being served, one prominent guest is being poisoned. Bethany, who is a friend of Haley's and helping with the tea party,  screams as she discovers Hughes Barron slumped over. This draws a screeching halt to the tea and police are called.

Theodosia soon finds herself and Bethany among the list of persons of interest. Because word has gotten out that Hughes was poisoned, the locals are avoiding the Indigo Tea Shop and because Theodosia and Bethany are on the list of suspects, Theodosia starts doing her own investigating.

With garden shears being held to her neck, right at the carotid artery, her life is in grave danger. Has her sleuthing gone too far? You'll have to read the book to discover 'who dunnit' and if Theodosia survives.

This was my first cozy mystery and I had a hard time reading it, I'm not blaming the book or the author because it isn't my normal storyline to read, I was sick when I started it, and then I had to deal with an insurance company for several days on other issues. I will recommend this book because I did finish it and am on to the second one in the series. 

1 comment: