Monday, November 4, 2013

Healing Love by Laura V Hilton - Review of the first book in The Amish of Webster County series



Kristi Lapp, an Amish midwife, and Shane Zimmerman, an English veterinarian new to the area, meet when he notices her buggy turned over in a ditch. He stops to make sure no one is hurt and discovers Kristi. She's unconscious and he calls to have her transported to the hospital. Her parents are out of town so he stays with her daily until they return. When her parents return and her daed sees an attraction forming he demands that Shane stay away from Kristi.

Shane tries to stay away from Kristi but it seems circumstances keep throwing them together. Kristi has a Siberian husky, Chinook, who needs exercise daily so Shane takes over doing that since Kristi can't walk and will need a lot of therapy. Even though they are each falling for the other, there are some things that are keeping them apart, she's Amish and he's English with Amish grandparents, neither one knows if they want to 'change' or if they want to ask the other to 'change'. Next is the fact that she's a midwife, he blames a midwife for the death of his wife and baby. Finally Kristi's daed is determined to marry her off to a good Amish man, even if he's already had three wives and has many children.

I had been wanting this book for a long time, as well as the next two in the series. When I won the third book I mentioned that I was going to buy the first two and Laura was kind enough to send them to me, she really blessed me by doing so. I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading the last two, Surrendered Love and Awakened Love. I would highly recommend this series to anyone that like reading Amish books.

Oh, did I mention the fact that I was VERY surprised at the ending, I think you will be too. Wonderful job Laura!

2 comments:

  1. thanks so much, Wendy! I'll be posting these around facebook in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! Laura writes books like she's making a pie from scratch in a country kitchen, combining ordinary ingredients with just the right amount of sugar and spice. Some characters may be rough around the edges, others may get a little burnt, but in the end they come out warm, sweet and comforting.

    ReplyDelete